I’m sure many of us have been exposed to lousy leaders in our working lifetime.
Sometimes all that matters to lousy leaders are the numbers. The people who work for them usually pay the price for achieving those numbers.
Just think about the damage poor leaders wreak on others.
You know what it’s all about?
In politics, Bill Clinton said, “It’s the economy, stupid.” In leadership it’s the attitude, stupid. Lousy leadership begins with self-protective attitudes not lack of skills, intelligence, or talent.
Here’s what lousy leaders usually do:
1. Need to know more than others.
2. Can’t explore for fear of being wrong.
3. Won’t ask obvious questions for fear of looking dumb. 4. Need their egos stroked.
5. Wonder who’s out to get them.
6. Fear high performers; they need the spotlight.
7. Struggle to collaborate.
8. Won’t change their minds.
9. Feel isolated and alone.
10. Sacrifice long-term success for short-term profits.
Lousy leaders can’t serve others because they serve themselves.
There is hope though; Great Leaders may be a rarity but here’s how you spot them.
All leaders screw up. But great leaders possess right attitudes even when they fall short. 1. Humility.
6. Compassion. 7. Responsibility.
Leaders matter most when they help others learn to help others.
Success is not just about the numbers. Numbers do matter.
Skill, talent, and intelligence also matter. Attitude matters most.
Take a moment to reflect on which of these 17 qualities your team see in you!
Why not ask them. It could be some of the most important feedback you’ll receive this year.